Latest Trending News

Odisha Power Transmission Corporation to Launch 21 Transmission Projects in Five Years

Bhubaneswar:  Odisha Power Transmission Corporation Limited (OPTCL) is gearing up to initiate 21 new transmission projects and upgrades within the next five years under phase-II of the Odisha Transmission System Strengthening Programme. This ambitious endeavour, backed by 30% equity support from the State Government as part of the Chief Minister’s Power Development Programme (CMPDP), aims to bolster the state’s power infrastructure and ensure seamless transmission of electricity.

The proposal for these projects received approval from the State Cabinet, led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, underscoring the government’s commitment to enhancing Odisha’s power transmission capabilities.

As the designated State Transmission Utility (STU), OPTCL plays a pivotal role in creating the necessary infrastructure for efficient power transmission. With the emergence of several power-intensive industries in the state and a corresponding increase in overall power demand, the need for new grid substations and the modernization of existing transmission infrastructure has become imperative.

Under phase-I of the Odisha Transmission System Strengthening Programme (OTSSP), OPTCL is already engaged in the construction of eight grid substations (GSSs) along with associated transmission lines, aimed at addressing non-remunerative aspects of transmission.

To ensure a steady and reliable power supply to upcoming industrial hubs such as Paradeep Plastic Park, Angul Aluminium Park, Bhadrak Textile Park, Neulapoi Industrial Estate, among others, OPTCL is proposing the establishment of six grid substations, the upgradation of existing GSSs, and the implementation of the Sub-station Automation System (SAS) under phase-II of OTSSP.

The estimated cost of phase-II amounts to Rs. 1845.76 crore, with the State Government committing 30% equity amounting to Rs. 553.73 crore, and the remaining 70% (Rs. 1292.03 crore) to be arranged by OPTCL. These projects are slated for implementation over a span of five years, from FY 2023-24 to 2027-28.

Comments are closed.