Latest Trending News

BPIA: Bhubaneswar airport becomes 100 percent sustainable with 4 MW solar power plant

Bhubaneswar: Taking a step towards green energy, Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar has installed 4MWp Ground Mounted Solar Power Plant in the operational area. With this, the airport becomes India’s 100 percent sustainable airport.

Spread over an area of 13.28 acres the solar plant has been installed at a cost of 18.75 crore.

The airport produces around 60 percent of its electricity requirement through its onsite solar generation and the rest 40 percent from other green sources such as hydro energy.

“We are delighted to achieve this key milestone in our journey towards attaining a sustainable future for BPIA. The diligent efforts of the airport in undertaking several thoughtful initiatives have paved the way to achieve this feat. As BPIA aspires to become net-zero, this landmark event further encourages us to stay committed to enhancing the airport’s operational efficiency while operating on fully renewable energy,” shared BPIA director Prasanna Pradhan.

The airport is committed to continuous reduction in energy consumption and carbon footprint through various initiatives, he added.

BPIA initially undertook the measure of installing a 100KWp rooftop solar power plant in August 2013, which the airport eventually strengthened to 4.1 MW. Now, BPIA which solely runs on green energy since April 2023.

“This sustainable initiative undertaken by BPIA is part of the airport’s efforts that reduce its carbon footprint, which propels its journey towards ‘Net Zero’ emissions, said Pradhan.

Comments are closed.