Headlines

Egypt, Iran Warn Against Palestinian Displacement Amid Israeli Plans

Cairo/Tehran: Mounting regional criticism has emerged after reports that Israel is considering relocating Palestinians from Gaza, with both Egypt and Iran warning such actions would constitute serious violations of international law.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said on Sunday it was “gravely concerned” about discussions suggesting certain countries had been approached to accept displaced Palestinians. The Ministry branded such plans “a rejected Israeli policy aimed at emptying Palestinian land of its inhabitants, occupying it, and liquidating the Palestinian cause.”

Reaffirming its “categorical rejection” of displacement, Cairo stressed it would neither accept nor participate in any such move. “Whether in Gaza or the West Bank, whether forced or voluntary through starvation, land confiscation or settlement, Egypt will not permit it,” the statement declared. It warned that forced displacement would amount to ethnic cleansing, a war crime, and “a historical injustice with no moral or legal justification.”

Iran’s Foreign Ministry also condemned what it described as Israel’s intention to forcibly move residents from Gaza City. Tehran said the plan represented “a clear instance of war crimes and crimes against humanity” and accused Israel of advancing “a genocide plan” with “all-out arms and political support” from the US and some European nations.

Both countries urged the wider international community to step in, with Egypt appealing to “peace-loving nations” to avoid complicity and Tehran calling for urgent action by Muslim states and global organizations to stop “warmongering and genocide.”

The condemnations follow Israel’s announcement on Saturday that residents of Gaza City would be relocated to the south, days after signaling a renewed push to seize control of the north.

According to Gaza health authorities, Israel’s military campaign—launched after the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack on southern Israel that killed about 1,200 people and saw 250 taken hostage—has so far killed 61,944 Palestinians and injured 155,886. Authorities also report 258 deaths from starvation and malnutrition, including 110 children, since the conflict began.

Bureau The News Hashtag

Recent Posts

Rare pre-stamp postal covers from Odisha fetch record prices at US auction

Bhubaneswar: Two rare pre-stamp era postal covers originating from Odisha have fetched record prices at…

2 days ago

Odisha H&UD Department issues advisory on fuel conservation, vehicle pooling

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government’s Housing and Urban Development Department has issued an advisory promoting fuel…

2 days ago

Odisha govt plans new film policy to revive Odia cinema

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government is set to introduce a new film policy and establish a…

3 days ago

Private bus fares increased in Odisha amid rising fuel costs

Bhubaneswar: Commuters travelling by private buses in Odisha will now have to pay slightly higher…

3 days ago

Odisha raises dearness allowance to 60% for govt employees

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government on Friday announced a two per cent hike in dearness allowance…

3 days ago

Scindia reviews education, tourism and sports projects during Sikkim visit

Namchi: Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia on Friday reviewed several key projects related to education, tourism,…

3 days ago